Monday, May 23, 2011

The Chickens Are Coming! The Chickens Are Coming!

I hate to admit this - I have ordered chickens.  Don't ask me why.   I am not the kind of person easily swayed by little creatures - usually, anyway, but I have ordered chickens.  For some reason, they are a new adventure.   We had chickens last year, or more accurately, my daughter had chickens, but the romance was not "on" - they were stand-offish, and somewhat smelly, while being quite the curiosity for me, they were not my "cup of tea".  I put them in the "maybe someday" category of my life, and forgot about them.  This Spring, that seemed to change.  I was building a rabbit hutch for my grandchildren when one of the chickens they own jumped into it, and looked at me.  Yes, I know - How can a chicken look at someone?  - but this one did.  It flew up into the hutch, and cocked its head at me and looked at me, then clucked, and I was smitten.  Suddenly the chicken thing seemed to make perfect sense - I could see myself clucking among the chickens as they went along on their daily tasks of.. I dunno, eating, clucking and laying eggs.  Fatally, they were...cute.  In truth, I had no idea chickens could be so beautiful  Their feathers are simply amazing in their variety and color.  The one chicken I persuaded my daughter to buy is basically useless as an egg producer, yet has the most amazing green/black feathers I have ever seen.  Perhaps it is my lifelong fascination with birds in general that makes this chicken thing make sense.  In any case - I have ordered chickens, and am waiting, in anticipation, for the arrival of the first group tomorrow or Wednesday.  The brooder and all the accessories are in place.  All I need now - are some chickens.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment