Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Lusty Month of May!

When I was a teenager I went on a class trip to see live theater for the first time.  It was amazing! The play was Camelot, and the part of Lancelot was played by Howard Keel.  I remember loving the music - especially the song "The Lusty Month of May" which begins "Tra la, it's May, the lusty month of May, the darling month when everyone throws self control away."  It's actually a song about human "indiscretion", but every May since, the song plays in my head just about this time as the air and earth warm, and nature awakens fully from the long winter.  This year is no exception.  The long, long white winter that covered the ground so totally for almost nine weeks was apparently just the ticket for the sleeping plants below.  Not only did I have a bonanza of daffodils, the peony garden I planted in 2007 (and have looked at in longing since) has not only finally settled in, but appears to be headed for a show stopping display - I'll keep you posted - but I have literally dozens of buds, just waiting......

No comments:

Post a Comment